Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Linking Up




My old friend Barb called on the phone yesterday morning.  I haven’t seen or talked with her for well over two decades, although we’ve stayed in casual touch via Christmas cards and letters.  She and her husband will be in our area in a couple of weeks; we hope to connect while they’re here.

In the early 80’s I attended Bible Study with Barb in the back room of our small local country church.  A Southern Belle by birth and upbringing, she brought poised honesty to this group of young women in their 20s and 30s.  One lone senior member in her 70’s, an almost-toothless woman named Olive, shared authentic wisdom refined through hard living and suffering, tolerance and hope.  I can still envision Barb responding graciously to Olive’s coarse frankness with respect and honor.

In those days, the trees lining our farmhouse driveway hung heavy with apples as each summer came to a close. After I’d canned my annual 40 quarts of sauce and 10 of pie filling, Barb and her neighbor harvested enough to also last both of their families for the winter.  I climbed the trees and shook them hard until the fragrant, ripe orbs pelted Barb like hard, fruity hail.   Her voice wafted from below with a signature sweet giggle that blossomed beyond a ladylike chuckle into a hearty laugh.  I loved her laugh.  I heard it on the phone again today.

Barb and I shared a lot in those days.  Memories reflect the dynamic ups-and-downs of our lives, and the fact that God was (and still is) watching over us.  They continue to fill me up all these years later, and as I bulge with gratitude I look forward to sharing the profound lessons life has taught us since we last laughed together, face-to-face.





No comments: