Thursday, May 29, 2014

Green Peaches and Cream



Here’s a list of what I had for breakfast:

water
cod liver oil
peaches
banana
flax seed
hemp hearts
walnuts
almond milk
raw spinach
raw kale
stevia

I bet you can picture me pinching my nostrils - choking down odiferous oil and chasing it with lots of water.  Maybe hurriedly spooning up sliced fruit sprinkled with seeds/nuts and topped with almond milk to cover the fishy taste.

If so, you’re not even close.  Actually, that possibility doesn’t explain the spinach and kale, either.  Or the stevia.

Here’s the truth.  I blended all of these ingredients together in my powerful Vita-Mix blender to create what I’m calling “Green Peaches and Cream” (despite the fact that there was nothing close to cream included).  It tasted rich and creamy like a milkshake, but without any (inflammatory) dairy products.  And sweet, without any (inflammatory) sugar. Who would have guessed raw spinach and kale were thrown in there?

In case this idea seems too downright distasteful, I should add that the cod liver oil was lemon-flavored.  This helped “Green Peaches and Cream” reach a serious quality of yummy fruitiness while still adding healthy fat (think tongue-schmoozing creaminess).  And the fruit was frozen, which created a thick, milkshake-like texture. 

It was worth sipping.  And savoring. Slowly. 



Wow – with protein and omega 3’s from the nuts and seeds and super-serious nutrition from those dark greens, what an amazing way to start the day!  “Green Peaches and Cream” was quick to prepare, and required very little clean-up, too.  But the best news of all? It was deeeeelicious.  Mouthwatering.  Nummy-nummy.  To the very last swig.








No comments: