Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Whole Story




Our BSF class is huge – over 400 women – and yet at our regularly scheduled meeting this morning various friends from last year’s discussion group kept seeking me out either before or after class with eager, expectant looks:  “Is the baby here yet?”  They’ve been praying with me all through my daughter’s pregnancy, and knew our new granddaughter is due to be delivered at MY house (with a midwife in attendance) in just TWO days.

Yes. Two.  Days. Although of course it might take longer, depending on the baby’s mood.

Several of these women asked me to email them once the baby arrives.  Almost all aaawed and gushed said, “it will be fine” and  “remember, I want to hear the WHOLE STORY!”  All were supportive and pledged to keep praying.

I did some Christmas shopping after class, and at one particular store purchased a few things for the new baby.  The clerk seemed a personable sort who was eager for conversation, although of course I’d never seen her before in my life.  She smiled and said, “Are you shopping for a little granddaughter?”

I said, “Yes, one that’s not here yet – one expected to be born at MY house.  And the due date is this THURSDAY!”

Her mouth flew open.  “You mean TWO DAYS from now?  At YOUR house?”

“Yes – you got it.”

She seemed incredulous.  “Did your daughter have to talk you into that arrangement?”

“Oh no, I’m a pushover when it comes to family.  Besides…I think it a privilege.  A little bit of a spooky privilege, but still a privilege.”

Her eyes widened.  “I don’t think my mother would have agreed to that.”

“It’s an honor.  I am blessed.”

She stood there staring at my soft pink Laura Ashley Plush Baby Blanket, and her fingers did a little nervous dance on the fleece.  “Well, I expect you to come back in here afterwards and tell me the WHOLE STORY – okay?”

I laughed.  “Sure – you and a bunch of other people.”

“Don’t forget me!” she called as I headed for the door.

After shopping, I stopped by a friend’s house on the way home for a cup of tea.  We hadn’t seen each other for a few weeks, and had a lot of catching up to do.  “The baby’s due in just TWO DAYS,” I reminded her while dunking my tea bag up and down. 

She smiled her a knowing smile, as if to wordlessly say I-get-the-whole-picture-here-and-I’m-with-you-all-the-way.  I wasn’t surprised when she responded with, “I’ll be waiting to hear the WHOLE STORY…”

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, my goodness! Of course, I'll want to hear the whole story, too!

Vicki said...

I assume you will be writting the beautiful 1st chapter of her life story. I can picture you sitting on the couch with all 3 girls and reading Nana's story of this special day.
I'll be praying for Katie and all of you tomorrow.