I learned a new word today: murmuration.
It sounds like a word describing a sound, and in a sense, it is. When huge numbers of starlings gather in flight to form rocking tidal waves in the air – twisting, turning, spiraling, thousands upon thousands all in sync – it is call murmuration. I wonder if the murmur of their collective wings seems more like the roar of a tornado?
Evidently this flight pattern is a strategy for protection against predators. The birds fly together in tightly packed unison to discourage attack, and yet if one diverges even a tiny bit the others must also adjust. This explains their beautifully stunning choreography.
There are a number of interesting videos online of flocks demonstrating murmuration, but I’m including one here that a friend posted on Facebook – it was my introduction to the topic. In this video, two girls are canoeing in Ireland when they’re surprised by a grand murmuration show; they just happened to be prepared to capture it with a camera. The following link to the video is worth two minutes of your time!
http://vimeo.com/31158841
No comments:
Post a Comment