Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Report




Today Bertha was introduced to the little Cornish Game Hen, whom I’m naming Agnes, for the first and last time. They met in our kitchen, were bosom buddies for about fifteen minutes, and then separated to pursue their separate destinies. (Note: For an explanation of Bertha as the name for our Thanksgiving turkey, and the reason for the smaller additional hen, see the blog for Tuesday, Nov. 22nd.) 

It was a fleeting meeting of camaraderie as both girls (ahem, birds) were cleaned and dried.



For a few seconds they sat on the counter, stuffed with dressing and prepared for roasting….and eventual consumption.



Agnes (I actually prefer Aggie) was done in a little over an hour, and became the focus of the grandkids’ lunch.



Bertha took 4 ½ hours to bake, and unfortunately we didn’t take a picture until she was well-picked-over and ready for the soup pot.



All-in-all it was an outstanding day.  Grampa told a story of the first Thanksgiving, while a captivated listener sat on his lap.  (Later, while watching Charlie Brown Thanksgiving specials in the evening, this same listener remembered his story and linked it to the animated one on TV.)



Our turkey hat-making project was a big hit.




There were smiles all day, evidence of happy, grateful hearts....







1 comment:

The Baums said...

Thank you for lending us your son as a Thanksgiving guest this year! We expect our own Christmas Day celebration to be very small this year -- we'll celebrate a later Christmas in Chicago with our grandkids and co-grandparents (Fr. Andrew's parents). Perhaps Ellie may join you at Christmas -- I don't know their plans.

Anyway -- I was intrigued with your pictures of the prepared bird -- I see you pin the wings to the sides. I always fold the wings back as if the bird was sunbathing with its wing tips behind its neck. I have no idea if there is a culinary reason for it -- it's just the way my mom did it. Do you have any opinion on how to place the wings?
~Ruth