Today, while visiting our old hometown, I reconnected individually with three different friends for an average of 2-3 delightful and inspiring hours each. It was almost like I’d never even moved away, for in each case we picked up right where we’d left off months before. Each woman reminded me of virtues - among them, right perspective from Ellen in the morning, honest self-evaluation from Linda at noon, and ongoing perseverance from Kathy in the evening.
I feel safe with such people who tend to spill the beans, and less safe with others who protectively nail down the lid on their hearts. I suppose this is because I value transparency, and find it a freeing example that invites me to be real as well.
It seems curious that a mysterious “connection factor” exists in some relationships (sometimes even on the first meeting) but not in others. What enables two individuals to open up and share deeper thoughts and feelings? Is it personality, temperament, or a matter of practiced behavior?
There seems to be a bottom line: trust. We must trust each other. It struck me today that this is a relational quality I want to cultivate, and that casting off the shroud of self-protection and connecting with others - like Ellen, Linda, and Kathy - begins with entrusting my life to the Father who invented friendship and values relationship above all else. Trusting Him.
1 comment:
I think that "mysterious connection factor " is a total God thing. All part of his plan. to fill a need in one or both "connectors". Maybe for a lesson in trust, or to be an encourager. His timing is perfect. His plan is perfect. and He is always so good to us!
I also think there are dffinate times/situations that He gives us a sense of self protection for a reason. It's not always know when to let your guard down and just stop fighting God's plan.
Post a Comment