Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Words Behind the Words




As I held the phone to my ear, a familiar and dear voice on the other end sounded just as I expected: comfortable and inviting.  As we chatted, I also continued fidgeting and doodling with my pen and jiggling the foot at the end of my crossed leg – silly habits of preoccupation. 

A few minutes clicked by. I was flattered, knowing how valuable time can be, and provided opportunities for the other party to bow out gracefully.  They were ignored.  At some point an unexpected awareness swept over me, and I began listening, or receiving, more deeply.  Did other unspoken, but very real, words, lurk behind the obvious ones?

I stopped fidgeting.  My foot stopped bouncing up and down.  

Yes! The other message, like some mysterious silent sign language of the heart, expressed more than spoken words could say.  If it could have become tangible it might sounded like a muted Gregorian chant wafting on a warm breeze laden with spring smells – hauntingly beautiful but in an enriching way that defied obvious translation.   Something intangible was also refreshing and musical, stirring and inspiring.  Gripping.


It said, “I care.  It is important to stay in touch. You matter. I don’t see you often, but I want to spend this time with you right now.  Everything else on my end can wait. Don’t hurry through this conversation on my account.  Feel free to open up and share as little or as much as you like – I’ll listen.  Or if you need to go, that’s fine, too.  Whatever you want, whatever you need.  I’m here for you.”

No comments: