I’m not sure how it happens exactly, I just always end up in the kitchen making stuff to feed people: this or that or several of these or those. I guess that means I’m an official Foodie.
After all, what would I be if I weren’t FEEDING someone??? Perish the thought. Identity crisis.
Like any other do-it-yourselfer with visions of creative grandeur, I tend to bite off more than I can chew. (pun intended) “I’ll just make a fun lunch to take to my friends at the wellness center tomorrow,” I said today after calling to make sure it would fit with their plans.
It seemed so simple from a conceptual point of view – a couple of sample entrees, several nicely diverse fresh salads, two breads (for both the white and wheat eaters), and a drop cookie and bar cookie. I had all the supplies on hand, so, no biggie. After all, I used to turn out mega-volumes more than this every single day when I owned the bakery!
Well, it’s simple and no big deal until considering the HOURS it takes to make everything from scratch – by yourself – with no dishwasher - in a dinky kitchen that is in the process of being remodeled! (Nails scattered on the counter where I roll my dough, etc. etc., let your mind run wild.) I’m not complaining, just explaining that I surely must be crazy. In my own self-defense though, I think I have dominant kitchen genes flowing in my blood (not my fault), and/or I’m being prepared for an eternity of heavenly food preparation in the next life.
1 comment:
Wow! I haven't been "here" since "Golden Oak to Cocoa Brown"! I've missed a bunch. The dog thing is hard for me to identify with. We'd probably take a pass on that experience. But the cooking thing hits here sporadically...
Your musings re. the phone conversation made me think about our phone usage lately. I see we're using it less and less for conversation--more for conveying facts. I'm a little embarrassed about that, and it helps me see that the facebook/twitter rage is a poor substitute for phone conversation (which had become a substitute for face-to-face conversation)...
And I never knew you owned a bakery!
Post a Comment