Today Plan A didn’t work. As part of our kitchen facelift, I’d planned to makeover a shelf above our kitchen cabinets with “Golden Oak” stain. But after careful sanding, conditioning, more sanding and staining, the results were disappointing.
“We’ll just have to live with it,” Fritz said in an attempt to be consoling.
“I’m not living with THAT. It’s unacceptable,” I replied with indignance.
“Well, what are you going to do?”
“I’ll let you know when I figure that out.”
After some silent gnashing of teeth and a few private moans and groans in the bathroom followed by a flash prayer and quick trip to Google, I learned I could re-sand the wood, prime and PAINT it. Our paint closet fortunately held some leftover Cocoa Brown semi-gloss that had been used as trim elsewhere in the house, so I decided to give it a try.
Wow! Tonight the end result is AWESOME - much more striking and finished-looking than what I’d envisioned with Plan A!
There’s a moral here. When I’m working on a writing assignment I sometimes have to write 4 or 5 pages just to discover the ONE PARAGRAPH that will become the nuts and bolts of my essay. The rest gets electronically blued-out and deleted. Evidently this same principle applied to the paint job today. I had to go through the Golden Oak to get to the Cocoa Brown. Plan B and Cocoa Brown would never have dawned on me otherwise. And yet it was just the right thing.
1 comment:
Now that's what I call "cross training"! From painting to writing...
I like the way you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off, and started all over again.
Post a Comment