Thursday, March 17, 2011

Birthday and More....




Yesterday evening seven family members gathered to celebrate Fritz’s 62nd birthday complete with a celebratory fish-fry feast (featuring pan fish from our lake, oven fried white and sweet potatoes, corn and red peppers, steamed broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, cole slaw with my signature homemade dressing that gets thrown together every time without a recipe but turns out okay, and homemade white and wheat yeast rolls).  Also featured were 60’s music, gifts, party hats, and candle-studded homemade cherry cobbler AND frosted chocolate brownies!  Goodness.  What a gala event.


Party hats can be worn in many different ways!



Another hauntingly beautiful winter sunset struck its pose on the western horizon over a still-icy lake, and as Grampa unwrapped gifts and I ran out on the deck to quickly capture it…



After the birthday festivities, Grampa and I shared the division of labor!  He snoozed in the recliner with his party hat still intact (an important job for sure) while I washed mountains of dishes and generally recovered the mayhem (a necessary job for sure). 



Today more ice is receding on the lake, and the open water is covered with millions of little choppy blades.  There’s so much MOVEMENT out there after the stark stillness of the winter ice!  I can’t quite put words to it, but the effect is stimulating…invigorating…renewing…hopeful.



(P.S. An aside re: yesterday’s entry!  I don’t have an edit function on my blog – I don’t know  why or how to fix the problem – so anything that gets posted is stuck there forever.  I have no idea why the word “reprint!” ended up in yesterday’s title. The blog was original to yesterday and was NOT a reprint!)




No comments: