Saturday, December 12, 2009

Student-for-a-DAY (part II)

Believe it or not, yesterday’s abbreviated title was a legitimate snafoo, not an intentional fill-in-the-blank test for the creative/astute in my readership. A long time ago I lost the “edit” function on this blog, and alas, have not been able to reinstate it. So when a snafoo-doozie shows up, like leaving off part of the title, it just stays that way.

Anyway, yesterday I was a sponge-soaking student-for-a-day. I learned a lot from my prestigious professor-husband about how to keep a class on its toes from beginning to end, make it fun while not wasting time, involve individuals in the learning process, and inspire enthusiasm for the particular subject matter at hand (dry bones stuff like cost accounting in the construction industry) and intellectual achievement in general.

It was a great experience for me, and hopefully for him as well since afterward I got to praise him up one side and down the other. No wonder he’s gotten all those awards over the last three decades. He’s just plain GOOD, and I was proud to be introduced to all those scruffy, brutish-looking construction guys as his wife….the one he’s used as the butt of his jokes all semester.

By the way, those jokes have been around a long time now. I usually hear about them at senior banquets, when the kids finally meet me in the flesh for the first time. I continue to try hard to NOT live up to the (ridiculous) image they’ve set: a grossly overweight Cruella-de-ville man-handler with cleavage (behind the knees rather than the chesty-type). And yet I suppose it’s a back-handed honor just to know I’ve been joke fodder that will go down in the annals of unwritten Purdue University history.

No comments: