Sunday, December 20, 2015
Uncovering a Legacy
My mother's father, Dumont Kennedy, was a well-respected attorney and statesman. He passed away long before I was born, so I never knew him - but I am grateful for his legacy.
Today while searching online, I found this newspaper reprint from September 24, 1913, when he was running for mayor (he was elected for the position). My mother would have been barely seven years old at the time. The article's author seems intent on representing his noble character, which was evidently undisputed in the community. I am grateful this upstanding man of character was my grandfather.
* * *
Source: Crawfordsville Journal Wednesday, Sept 24, 1913
Dumont Kennedy, the candidate for mayor, has lived here all his life. The Kennedy name figures large in the history of this county and no man can point to a single spot on its record. He has held the prosecuting attorney's office two terms, the office of clerk at the Circuit Court 8 years and is as well known as any man that could be placed in office in the city. There is not a closed page in his whole life. In the public offices that he has held, was he known as a grafter? Has a single suggestion of dishonesty ever been made of him? Did he as an office holder of his party do anything to the public detriment? Does the community afford a man more noted for his strength and breadth of mind; more vigorous and wholesome in his common sense ideas and views? Can you think of any person in all the range of your acquaintences to whom you would more readily or unreservedly entrust your affairs or those of your family? Do you know of anybody who is more nearly "the salt of the earth?" Have you ever hoped for better timber for mayor than Dumont Kennedy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment