Monday, December 21, 2015

Jessica's Butterfly




A pearl-studded, hand-blown glass butterfly has been one of my favorite Christmas ornaments for many years.  It was given to me by a young employee of my bakery business in the mid-1990’s, an old soul for her years with a deep heart. 

Jessica and I sometimes worked together in early morning hours before the store opened.  On one side of our workstation, she sang songs to herself, the yeast dough, God, and the whole created universe.  Meanwhile, I decorated cakes on the other side. Her voice filled the entire place and all of me, a melodious calling out to life for personal fulfillment.

Sometimes when we talked, things got serious.  I assured her that soon she would experience a sort of metamorphosis, and fly like a transformed butterfly gone free.  I watched her desire for this swell and mature, and she gave me this butterfly as a token of our shared celebration for what was forthcoming. 

Now, all these years later, she is a thriving wife and mother, living her dream.



 

No comments: