Saturday, April 4, 2015

Let There Be Real Pie




Traditional laws governing pumpkin pie-baking have now officially been broken.  (Thanks food police, for looking the other way.) My offense? Making a “fake” pumpkin pie without condensed milk, sugar, or wheat flour! 

And yet this imposter is more “real” than it’s predecessor.  My gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free pie turned out visually pleasing and saliva-inducing: a culinary masterpiece.  Oh yeah, not to mention healthy, which was the primary motivation.

I also outlawed the usual whipped cream topping, but being a basically upbeat lawbreaker who is only trying to get back to real food, I replaced it with something even better.

I’ve never eaten a better-tasting pumpkin pie.  Its crust is flaky and tender; its smooth, rich filling is spiced and sweetened just right.  And honestly, the nut crème topping deserves a blue ribbon in the dessert world’s hall of fame.  I say this all humbly, for the results were not guaranteed when I set out to experiment - evidently the pie goddess (wearing a puffy baker’s hat and holding a mixing spoon for a wand, you know the one) decided to bless me.  I didn’t want to feel bloated, with blood sugar shooting through the roof and mucous coating my throat, and neither did she.  Bless her soul.

Better yet, it was a cinch to make, not much more involved than the traditional sugar/dairy/gluten-bomb variety.  Yum.  I know it’s not the season for pumpkin, but who cares.  



No comments: