Thursday, February 26, 2015

A Very Good Day




It's true...I've become a food brat. I prefer high-quality “real” grub to refined and processed fare, and I like it to be reasonably available (within a 40 minute drive of my house).  Sure, I can do with less than optimal stuff and still be content and thankful.  But I do appreciate good food.

Only a few weeks ago I learned my dream for a Whole Foods-type store was coming true: a new Earth Fare would soon open in our nearby metropolis.  The grand opening was yesterday, and I visited the store today with a couple of foodie girlfriends.  Think junior high-aged girls on a field trip, giggly, bug-eyed, and excited to be running loose, and you're probably close. 



 When I arrived, a jam-packed parking lot proved I wasn’t the only one starved for this kind of grocery – no surprise.  The doors yawned big, inviting me to come, come in and discover the optimum grocery shopping experience.

Breathe, I told myself.  You’re hyperventilating.

I was maybe two steps inside those glass doors when - yes indeed - the whole place just sort of reached out and pulled me in.  Soon I was immersed in sumptuous, real FOOD of every description, all under one roof. Saliva flowed freely as I visually devoured tempting salads in the deli case.  

 


The three of us walked up-and-down the aisles like gawking sightseers (silly girls!), choosing a few items for our carts as we went. The fresh produce section was especially beautiful and enticing – and oh look, they even carry turmeric root!  After making the rounds, we bellied up to the (juice) bar and sipped tri-colored drinks over serious chit-chat about Things That Matter.  It was interspersed with girly laughter of course, fresh from deep-down in our young-girl-turned-old-lady hearts.   






Several hours after stepping into Earth Fare through its welcoming doors, I walked the other direction, back to my car.  I’d been filled to the brim with good company in a good place of business promising to provide good – no exceptional – food for those of us hungering after it. 


It was a very good day, indeed.


No comments: