Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Precious Moments (but not figurines)




Today’s plans were cancelled (again) due to austere winter weather conditions (again).  Instead of briskly circling the track during my husband’s cardiac rehab session (think hamster wheel, only flat, with a revolving oldster going in circles rather than a furry critter) and then hosting our 5-year-old granddaughter on a Fancy Day Field Trip to The City, I’m home in my small kitchen baking cinnamon rolls.*

As I wait for the yeast-infused dough to rise, I reflect on the reality of being snowbound. Yes, there’s an element of cabin fever and the inevitable urge to GET OUT.  And yet as the hours slow down, I see life through a magnifying lens that zeroes in on intrinsic values more than action.

Time becomes more meaningful. I savor each moment for its own worth as a precious, valuable, cherished measurement of life.   In the midst of the creeping minutes, presence also becomes precious. The people in my life seem more obviously endearing to me.

Even as I type this, my sweet, cinnamon-struck indulgences bake in the hot oven.  Heady aromas slowly waft through the house like dreamy, aromatic wands opposing the sharp winds outside - gusts  that alternately shred and sculpt snowdrifts. I’m held captive by the spicy, butter-logged smells from freshly-baked goods that will also soon delight others, and the magnificence of God’s blessing right here and now: mercy to see, magnify, and glue together the smallest, most elemental and precious aspects of life as viewed through His lens.

 * * *

*I should clarify that we will not eat even one of these rolls – they are disqualified from our current gluten-free, sugar-free diet – but rather they will be given to family and friends. However, we will salivate freely and enjoy the smells.




No comments: