A friend posted an article on Facebook today pinpointing the
habits of what it calls “highly sensitive people.” I identified with the entire article, although I realize it exposes
only one behavioral viewpoint and therefore is not a comprehensive evaluative tool. Still, I find it interesting to relate with elements of all 16 points.
1.) I’m
intuitive, feel intensely, and go deep inside to try and make sense of things.
2.) I’m
more emotionally reactive than many other people in a given situation.
3.) I’m
used to hearing, “Why are you so sensitive?” and “Don’t take things so
personally!” These were common,
almost daily, in my early adult years until I learned to keep my feelings to myself.
4.) I
prefer solo exercise pursuits like walking or distance swimming to team sports.
5.) I
am slow to make decisions because of being aware of subtle details that make it
harder to come to a conclusion. I
can be seen as indecisive when I feel I am simply being careful.
6.) I
am very aware of making a “bad” or “wrong” decision – higher emotional
reactivity, again.
7.) I
am detail-oriented in the sense of noticing and observing details in everyday
life.
8.) I
am an introvert at heart, but become extroverted when situations require it or
when I strongly believe in a cause or effort.
9.) I
can be a good team player, but prefer to not lead or have the final say.
10.) I often defer to negative moods learned in
childhood.
11.) I find uncomfortable sounds annoying and
overwhelming.
12.) I find violent movies overstimulating and
depressing.
13.) I cry easily. The more something or someone matters, the more I can choke
up over it or them.
14.) I want to be conscientious and sensitive, and
notice when others seem rude or clueless (which can bring out a more aggressive
spirit in me!).
15.) I am prone to amplify the effects of criticism,
but not out of defense as much as feeling misunderstood.
16.) I prefer small, controlled jobs and workspaces.
You can find the article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/26/highly-sensitive-people-signs-habits_n_4810794.html
No comments:
Post a Comment