Inspiring friends celebrated their 50th wedding
anniversary last week, and were asked to spontaneously share the secret of
their success with the entire congregation at church last Sunday. With a huge smile, the wife made her
proclamation from the pulpit: “Marry someone who is your exact opposite, and
you’ll be happy.”
Wow! I might
have argued her point years ago, but now I believe it. Homogenizing differences can seem
grueling, like stirring oil and water (and stirring and stirring without
obvious immediate effect), but ultimately it changes us for the better. We’re enlarged – not by losing our own
identity and cloning the beloved, but by becoming more dynamic. Less self-absorbed.
This reality is not usually common
knowledge when we’re young, but rather is learned over much time together in the trenches of life. We begin not knowing much about what
love is and does, but end up altered, perhaps transformed, by it.
“The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly
themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection
of ourselves we find in them.”
-Thomas Merton
1 comment:
Now I've got to think about that.....
The Merton quote, I DO get. You almost always get me thinking, Beth :)
Post a Comment