Friday, August 23, 2013

Going With the Flow






The lily pads, those curious, floating green plates that line our wild shoreline, appear to be dying. They do this every year, and yet the change always sneaks up on me.  I’m never quite ready for their yellowed edges to announce the end of summer. 

This shift isn’t as sudden as it seems, but rather I don’t notice their day-by-day aging until it accumulates. Then one day, like today, they advertise autumn’s inevitability and prove a principle: change is the only constant of life on planet earth. 

These low-profile aquatic plants with hidden deep-down, imposing woody structures speak to both rootedness and drastic seasonal variations.  As part of the natural world, they are both dynamic and mysterious.  They accept without anguish or complaint.  Amidst cycles of dormancy, growth, and maturity they flourish.  They LIVE. 

I want to share their character qualities - their quiet, unassuming presence,  their willingness to go with the flow.  Their ability to simply BE without pretense or apology, and wait on God's timing for all things.  



No comments: