It’s crunch time.
I’m in charge of a ladies’ shindig at church Saturday, and all the
last-minute preparations (think puzzle pieces) need to fit together in the days
between now and then. Sometimes
various women can have unique thoughts on puzzle-working as they come together to
face a common goal (think peas and carrots). I want to model open communication and cooperation (think
motivation).
Honestly, I feel very good about the event. It’s a Valentine Luncheon inspired by
Mark 12:31: “Love Your Neighbor.”
Our motto? “Love it Forward”
(think unique opportunity). With this in mind, we’ve invited “neighbors” from
the surrounding community, and have had good response. Almost half of those attending will be
visitors!
A speaker/musician from our own congregation plans to
present an encouraging, uplifting program. She’s a classically trained violinist with an international
following, one who spends a lot of time performing and speaking in Great
Britain, Ireland, and Scotland (think professional). I’m sure she’ll be amazing, as usual.
The potluck lunch will be diverse and delicious – it always
is! Various table hostesses
are prepared to set their individual tables with a signature centerpiece and
their own good china from home to make for diversity in table personalities
(think tea party). Fun!
Still, there are many little details crunching underfoot, some
threatening to trip me, waiting to be ironed out. Who sits at what table? Who makes the coffee?
How do I respond to this or that request (think stress)?
In it all, I need to keep an eye out for the inevitable,
unpredictable last minute changes – there are always some of THOSE lurking
under the rug somewhere. For
example, we closed sign-up yesterday, and yet more would-be attendees are
already charging through the closed doors. We have plenty of room at this point, so that’s fine - in
fact it’s great - but we need a REAL cut-off soon (think being decisive).
Deep down, I know it’s going to be GREAT. We’ll have a special time making
wonderful new memories and enjoying new friends. I just need to relax – sit in the hot tub under the stars
every evening – until it’s time to let the good times roll.
Think chill out!
1 comment:
I understand. I Reeeeeeeeeeally understand.
It sounds like a charming evening in store for everyone. Until then, "chill" the best you can.
Post a Comment