Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Little One




She lay quietly beside me, her white-blonde curls cascading across the pillow like coils of silk, my heart throbbing gratitude in my chest.  We’d read our handpicked stories (Winnie the Pooh and an antiquated Golden Book); we’d waited beneath the fringed green afghan for the nap to come.  When she buried her face in one of my arms, and I encircled her with the other, her eyes finally closed and her little body lay still.  Her breath smelled sweet in my face.    

Oh-so-slowly I pulled myself away and slipped off the bed, careful to not disturb Sleeping Beauty. She need not say or do anything to merit the title, just BE. Finally standing, I reveled in her stunning loveliness.

How true for us all, I thought...how we worship beauty and long to be beautiful!  If only we might learn to see each other as children wearing grown-up clothes, little beauties who have forgotten or run away from this…exquisiteness…and are trying so hard to convince ourselves and each other of innate value that has been there all along.


No comments: