Monday, February 11, 2013

Together




Sometimes I wonder about my readership, the audience of Known Yous and Unknown Yous seated out there behind cyber-curtains.  I wonder what you hope to read here.  Why you bother to come.

We’re desperate for something real: a hopeful or funny story, a true-to-life vignette, you might say. We want the truth as seen through your eyes. Tell us something that makes us feel less alone. 

Sensing this, I sit down at the computer each day, wait for words to show up (wandering vagrants on an exodus leading to your computer), and strive to get them down as the designated typist.

If I pause and strain to listen for the mystery, I can almost hear your collective music, the deep melodies playing from your hearts: jazz, blues, sacred, folk, rock.  It’s a soul-symphony.  Diverse ballads and hymns tell a story of corporate humanity’s ongoing march through time and beyond.  I chime in with my own literary score, daring to share a small reflection or snip from my day while hoping you’ll identify on some level.  Then, for a moment at least, you and I realize we’re in this thing called life together.


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

....and so often I DO identify. We ARE in this thing called life together. (My music is a sort of sacred and sometimes blues jazz.)