Saturday, February 16, 2013

Keep Moving




It’s late at night: wintertime late, cold-and-bleak late, tired-bordering-on-exhausted late.  White snow-streaks drill the inky night like a throng of snakes that strike the car windshield and repeatedly blind us.  Another white-out. We're caught in a night blizzard, again.

The road home seems barely distinguishable with so much snow cover, and the headlights hardly sufficient.  Our car creeps forward one painstaking mile at a time; minutes drag like those counting stubborn labor pains.  This is a test of resolve, patience, and faith.


I remind myself to breathe deep and long, and trust the driver. We can’t clearly see the way or manipulate a clean path, although the necessity remains….keep moving.

The goal pulls us onward: HOME. The place we do life. The belonging place of acceptance-with-joy lies ahead of us, predictable and sure.  IT IS THERE, WAITING.  

And in those drawn-out moments with the heater blasting dry dragon-breath and the wheels crushing layers-upon-layers of crystalline snowflakes, I remind myself that KEEP MOVING applies to everything.  KEEP MOVING through the minutes and hours and days, KEEP MOVING toward my heavenly mansion. To stop forward momentum, to give up trying, is to invite death in the midst of life. There are always more miles to go before I sleep….so many miles to go before I sleep.




No comments: