A friend at BSF today smiled and said, “You got your hair
cut! It looks nice!”
“Thank you,” I replied, and
left it at that. But there’s more
to the story.
Sometime around 2006-ish, I started cutting my own
hair. It was a revolt, since I’d
spent my life (since junior high school at least) battling straight, fine hair,
forcing it to curl or pouf or hang just so – to hold an imposed form and NOT
MOVE. I’d rolled, ratted, permed, ironed, and sprayed it, depending on the decade, in an attempt to fit the vogue.
Then one fated day I decided there was more to life than
hair. I didn’t care anymore, and said
“enough” to the absurdity of it all.
The trusty pendulum swung from one extreme to the other. After searching
for styles that might actually fit my hair, which falls straight in every
direction from the crown, I finally found a sketch of such a hairdo online: a do-less
do.
It’s great. Styling my hair in the morning is a snap. The
day might bring a play date with grandkids or a wedding – my hair doesn’t care.
I don’t mind if it gets windblown because it falls back into its own style. “Au
naturale” is the way to go. It
just took me over half a century to figure this out.
How do I do the actual cutting, you ask? Especially in the
back? I don’t have a good
answer. I’m cautious and work
slowly with a mirror, so a cut takes awhile. Otherwise, it’s trial and error. After more than 6 years I still make mistakes, but they’re
small compared to earlier ones.
There are pros and cons to doing your own hair, but the pros
are crystal clear: you can’t blame someone else if you don’t like the cut;
there’s no need to make an appointment in advance, interrupt your day, and
drive somewhere (in other words you can schedule at your own convenience); and it
doesn’t cost anything.
Sometimes I think I should give up, act like a real 21st
Century Westernized woman, and treat myself to a salon cut. But then I think, well, I’ll
probably end up tweaking it anyway – trimming a bit more here or there to suit
myself – so why bother?
It's fun - my little secret.
1 comment:
I'm really wishing for a picture here, Beth! I have straight, fine hair, too. I could use a lesson in how to cut my own hair. (I used to cut my bangs and around my ears when my hair was shorter....I can't remember WHO cut the back?!?)
Post a Comment