I seem to be shifting gears in my writing life, but not
without some grating and gear-stripping. Change is always challenging, even
when defined as a silver lining peeking from behind a huge cloud of complacency.
I’ve got to be willing to reach
out and take it.
While one good-and-respectable seven-year discipline grinds
to a halt, a futuristic goal lurks in the wings. It coaxes me to come, come on out from the stage of weekly
contest entries into the cubbyhole of longer-term, committed writing – into the
workplace where you get serious about publication. I argue that I haven’t the time. The more I resist the more
the gears grind.
As a result I’ve been hoping to open the windows of my
writing expectations by rereading some portions from Bird by Bird by
author and creative writing instructor, Anne LaMotte. I’ve read Anne’s recommendations numerous times in the past,
and yet they always seem somehow new and inspiring, causing a fresh
writing-wind to fill my sails.
I’m copying excerpts below since I know at least several of
my blog readers share my almost compulsive writing mania. Perhaps they will also speak to those folks as well, and offer permission to listen to that other inner voice - to get on with what it
insists must be written and shared.
Here is one:
You are lucky to be
one of those people who wishes to build sand castles with words, who is willing
to create a place where your imagination can wander. We build this place with the sand of memories; these castles
are our memories and inventiveness made tangible. So part of us believes that when the tide starts coming in,
we won’t really have lost anything, because actually only a symbol of it was
there in the sand. Another part of
us thinks we’ll figure out a way to divert the ocean. This is what separates artists from ordinary people: the
belief, deep in our hearts, that if we build our castles well enough, somehow
the ocean won’t wash them away. I
think this is a wonderful kind of person to be.
And another:
The society to which
we belong seems to be dying or is already dead. I don’t mean to sound dramatic, but clearly the dark side is
rising. Things could not have been
more odd and frightening in the Middle Ages. But the tradition of artists will continue no matter what
form the society takes. And this
is another reason to write: people need us, to mirror for them and for each
other without distortion – not to look around and say, “Look at yourselves, you
idiots!,” but to say, “This is who we are.”
In this dark and
wounded society, writing can give you the pleasure of the woodpecker, of
hollowing out a hole in a tree where you can build your nest and say, “This is
my niche, this is where I live now, this is where I belong.” And the niche may be small and dark,
but at last you will finally know what you are doing. After thirty years or more of floundering around and
screwing up, you will finally know, and when you get serious you will be
dealing with the one thing you’ve been avoiding all along – your wounds. This is very painful. It stops a lot of people early on who
didn’t get into this for the pain.
They got into it for the money and the fame. So they either quit, or they resort to a type of writing
that is sort of like candy making.
Don’t underestimate
this gift of finding a place in the writing world: if you really work at
describing creatively on paper the truth as you understand it, as you have
experienced it, with the people or material who are in you, who are asking that
you help them get written, you will come to a secret feeling of honor. Being a writer is part of a noble
tradition, as is being a musician – the last egalitarian and open
associations. No matter what
happens in terms of fame and fortune, dedication to writing is a marching-step
forward from where you were before, when you didn’t care about reaching out to
the world, when you weren’t hoping to contribute, when you were just standing
there doing some job into which you had fallen.
1 comment:
Beth, It's time for me to re-read that book. (I think this would be my 3rd or 4th time.) As I read the excerpts you shared here, I saw in the last two paragraphs the reason I blog. It is "my place" (and I believe the "place" of so many others--either consciously or unconsciously....)
Post a Comment