We own ruddy-chocolate-brown, double-wall-mount ovens installed in 1961 when our house was built – miniatures in one unit that
together measure 24x48”. At 350
degrees the bottom oven belches steam like a muffled dragon when the door is
shut. The top oven, the more
dependable of the two, has a more even-tempered reputation, but recently threw
a fit and retired. It just quit
working, right when I was trying to brown some oven fries for the
grandkids. Of all the nerve.
Like a stealthy detective, I researched replacement ovens online.
I found several of this odd size, but alas! The online reviews socked a punch -
mawhumph - as if to deflate my victory.
One model was reported to have repeated problems with the control panel
that would burn-out (nice pun) in about four years. The shallow ovens described in reviews for several other
models couldn’t accommodate normal-sized cookie sheets, let alone a turkey
roaster. And what good is an oven
that can’t roast a Christmas turkey? Pshaw.
Still, we went on the prowl today to try and actually SEE
some of these ovens for ourselves.
We found one, and one only – a GE.
It was attractive enough, with ovens of reasonable height, and the price
was the lowest yet – but I gasped out loud when I peeked inside. The back walls redefined what should
have been the oven’s mid-section, essentially cutting it in half. These ovens were not deep enough to
hold a cookie sheet, let alone a…you guessed it…turkey roaster. Gulp. Those reviewers were right.
My old ovens, on the other hand, had thinner walls and
larger cavities even though their rough exterior dimensions are the same as the new one we examined today. They accommodate not only
a normal cookie sheet, but some I own that are oversized – as well as large baking pans AND my giant turkey roaster. However, a replacement part is no longer available for the
old geezer, although an appliance dealer said he could supply a custom-made one
(for a fee, naturally).
So now we’re stuck in a quagmire of a dilemma. Which funky ovens to we want? Eh? The bigger, on-the-way-out older ones with a handcrafted
patch, or the smaller, more energy-efficient, newer ones that will deny us Christmas
turkey? The vote is still
out.
No comments:
Post a Comment