Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Other Person's Pain




It is one thing to deal with unresolved personal issues.  It is quite another to accompany some other individual stumbling in the darkness of loss and discouragement - one pressed by the proverbial wringer.

For several months I’ve witnessed a challenging scenario play out.  I’ve wanted so much to fix things, or at least assist in the fixing, and have been willing to sacrifice accordingly.  I’ve hoped for the best, prayed, waited for delayed answers, and waited some more.  I’ve supported the hurting person in both obvious and creative ways.

The situation only continues to compound.  My vicarious longings grow deeper until the ache of want becomes chronic. This doesn’t mean I’m without an anchor (hope), it just means discouragement reminds me of my smallness and inability to control the outcome. 

That’s a good thing, because when problems seem to have no solution, the options narrow.  Will I run, hide, quit? Will I pray, obey, wait?

It is still early morning of a day that will be full of visitors, activity, and service – as well as compassion and support.  As I consider the challenges before me, I grasp the words from an ancient morning prayer:  “Lord, teach me today to pray, believe, hope...”  The most I can do is petition God, trust Him, and hope in Him.  These must be the focus while I attempt to share the other person’s pain in ways that will eventually support resurrection from despair, redemption from darkness, and restoration from brokenness. 

No comments: