Six years ago today (June 6, 2006) I launched an experiment:
a diet of unheated, unrefined (raw) fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds in their most natural form representing the original fare in the Garden of Eden. Within a few days I
felt wonderful, ten years younger, clearer-headed, almost euphoric. Nearly unstoppable.
In the weeks that followed I found creative recipes online posted
by “raw foodists” who ranged from gourmet raw chefs to lay cooks like myself. I began occasionally enjoying desserts like
raw chocolate mousse or date-nut torte as well as everyday fare like dehydrated
crackers (dehydrating doesn’t destroy living enzymes so the food is still
considered raw) spread with nut cheese – and of course lots of SALAD. The
longer I ate this way the more convinced I was that it was not just a good idea
but The Supreme Idea. I still enjoy looking at pictures of myself from that
era. The good health showed.
My experiment lasted the entire summer and beyond, but
eventually circumstances and expectations wore down my resolve until I slowly
caved in to more and more cooked, refined foods. While still eating a large percentage of raw food 18 months
later, I’d also shifted back to many “typical” foods on the sad, sad SAD
(Standard American Diet). During the past year I’ve continued to eat raw salad every day but have sadly (Standard American Diet type sadly) also fallen prey to old food addictions that too
often make me feel sick, tired, and frazzled.
Today I’m tired of feeling sick and tired, and this morning decided
(for the millionth time, but with more resolve because of the
6-year-anniversary date) to give raw food a go again – or at least the 65-85% raw goal recommended by some in the raw community.
Yes, I will cook for the masses all summer when they show up here at the
lake. Burgers and barbecued
chicken on the grill, oven fries and my own dips for the potato and corn chips,
homemade cinnamon rolls and chocolate-mint crinkle cookies. But I cooked for them once before and
ate like a raw purist anyway. Can
I do it again?
2 comments:
"Can she do it? YES she can!"
"Can she do it? YES she can!"
Post a Comment