I’m not used to driving.
This morning half-barren trees, proudly holding onto remnants of autumn plumage, flanked the narrow country road on my way to meet a group of friends for lunch. Our rugged old gray mini-van, beyond a double centenarian* according to mileage, puttered along with its usual low engine growl resembling a sick cat’s alto purr. Was I really behind the wheel?
The driving ban mandated by state law after my seizure last April finally ended last Saturday. Although I accepted isolation (and dependence) for six long months, as a newly reinstated driver I’m now sharply aware of EVERYTHING. Gold and rust leaves glued on rain-dampened asphalt. A mother deer and her fawn half-hidden in the bushes along the side of the road. The tactile feel of the wheel, the seat, and the accelerator. A euphoric response to speed….and on the interstate, S-P-E-E-E-E-E-D!
Before lunch I ran a few errands, relishing my freedom over every mile and at every turn. In-and-out of five stores; in-and-out of five parking lots. Swiped the credit card FIVE times in a row. Wow. Then off to lunch at a cute out-of-the-way diner that offered a menu with exotic burgers including one studded with olives, and four sandwich specials scribbled on a dry erase board. A great place for my coming-out party!
I almost felt like I was 16 again, getting a driver’s license for the first time. Being free and on-the-go without a hint of restraint, and loving it.
I’m a little out-of-practice as a driver, but am very excited about recovering my independence. I appreciate my junker-of-a-car, my valid driver’s license, and things-to-do, people-to-meet, and places-to-go. Driving feels really, reeeeealy goooood.
____________________________________________________________________
*A centenarian is a person (or in this case, a car) who is 100 years old, or continues living beyond the age of 100 years (or in this case, miles). A car that is “beyond a double centenarian” (speaking of our mini-van) would be one with mileage well over 200,000 miles. Such a vehicle might have wrinkles (in this case, dents leftover from hitting a deer) and age-spots (in this case, rust).
2 comments:
This i such a fun post! No deep look into all the lessons God taught you about isolation and depending on others when yu have an INdependant spirit. Although all those lessons ,and maybe more, were still there. But just like a 16 year old and their first license, it was all about the exhilarating feeling of FREEDOM!
So happy for you!
We've had a few centenarians of our own, Beth....
Happy with your for the end of your "isolation and dependence" and challenged by the concept of how "fasting" - voluntarily or unvoluntarily heightens one's appreciation of "EVERYTHING"...
Post a Comment