Friday, October 28, 2011

Grace-Glimpses




It’s almost 11:00 a.m., and a gentle rain is pelting the lake and creating a pensive mood – the perfect atmosphere to think back over, and evaluate, the last several hours.

The new day woke up slowly, yawning and squinting in soft-gray light as a slow-moving fog-blanket lumbered across the lake.  I stretched to shake off the night’s residual sleepiness and watched, transfixed by the scene.

All-at-once a brash beam of sunlight reached down through the cloud cover and spotlighted the opposite shoreline; gilded cattails and tree leaves reflected its energy as if suddenly transformed into pure gold.  The magical moment didn’t last - in a matter of seconds the sun was gone, allowing the gauzy fog-shroud to once again partially mask the view.  And yet brevity made the sun-show no less real, no less captivating and stirring.  No less illuminating.  No less grand.

This scene parallels my own inner realities, even this morning.  Each time God’s grace suddenly floods my heart with mercy, hope, and clarity, and His ordained potential for me stands unobstructed in the transparent authenticity of the moment, I see Him, and myself, more clearly.  It’s as if my heart-vision re-focuses, and I catch a transforming glimpse of not only my Maker, but also of my truest self.

It is beautiful.

Eventually the sun burned through to announce a transient patch of blue sky, and chased the remaining fog-bunnies from the surface of the lake for the rest of the day.  I’m convinced that this is a small-but-inspiring foreshadowing of what it will be like one day to enter glory.

And yet, in the rain, I wait.

.

No comments: