Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Very Merry Un-Birthday




A very merry un-birthday party erupted here last night, complete with gifts, a candle-studded grasshopper pie (the favorite of the 33-year-old un-birthday-boy whose real birthday is still a month away), party hats, and the original song from Alice in Wonderland.  We practiced singing in unison before it was time for him to blow his candles, and used an online clip of Alice and friends for the rehearsal.  

“A very merry un-birthday to you (to me?), to you (to me?)….”

We practiced three times until we had it almost, sort-of, well slightly, down pat.

The party made a huge impression on our three-year-old granddaughter. The idea that a person could have a birthday party without waiting a whole year for another “real” birthday seemed utterly fabulous!

Her parents have been gone for the past week, but will return tomorrow – and when I asked her what she might say when she first sees them, she became very animated and her little eyes widened into huge orbs.  “OH!  I’ll say hi mommy and daddy…..and, and, and…..I’ll give them a hug…..and, and, and…..then I’ll tell them about the un-birthday! And I’ll tell them the cake didn’t taste like cake at all, but was all gooey and minty like whipped cream!  And I’ll tell them I’m going to have my own un-birthday, too! With that kind of cake and presents for ME!”

No comments: