Today our 18-month-old granddaughter needed me. Her parents have been gone for almost a week, and I was her safe place.
Between normal meal, nap, and play times, interspersed with trips outside to the sandbox and rides in the back pack while I prepared food, we periodically cr-creaked back and forth in the rocking chair.
Every once in a while her little cherub-face turned pouty and fussy, and she ran to me with her arms outstretched, asking to be held.
“Do you want to sit in the rocking chair?” I asked each time after picking her up.
“Uh-huh!” she replied, and her tears immediately stopped.
As we sat and listened to the ancient chair’s creaky voice, her little body melted into mine. With her head locked beneath my chin, and my arms wrapped around her, we became one.
I was her comfort zone. Oh, how we all need one of those.
2 comments:
...oh yes. How we (I) need one of those!
We do need our comfort and I am jealous that you have a litte one to hold on your lap! My grandkids aren't even babies anymore. :(
Post a Comment