This afternoon a skimpy flurry of lazy snowflakes wafted like feathers loosened from some leaky pillow in the sky. The crisp air was still, without any wind, so each flake stayed its course until it softly joined so many others to form a white blanket on the country road and bare tree branches bordering it.
I tromped along with midget-like steps to insure control on the ice, and yet felt exhilarated that I was even out there, breathing cold air, feeling my muscles tense with each step to meet the challenge. I clicked off two miles relatively quickly, and hated to stop and come inside to fix dinner. I could have easily walked another two, or more!
Not everyone in their 60’s has this luxury. Family and friends of similar age with failing health surround me. Life has taken its toll, habits have had their way, and the physical body has succumbed to disease and breakdown. It seems the pervading reality among my peers.
With this said, I am motivated more than ever to be intentional and pro-active about maintaining my current level of health. The snow and cold, and the sight of my breath evaporating in front of me as I walked energetically in the wintry elements, convinced me. I’m resolved to do what I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment