Today BSF resumed with its first meeting of the year, this time with a brand new curriculum that will explore the book of Isaiah! It was exciting to be enrolled as a regular member in the daytime Kalamazoo class (one I’ve visited periodically in the past when enrolled in other classes), meet the so-so-awesome ladies in my discussion group, and launch into a new study. The church was bursting at the seams. I’m guessing there were maybe 350 women present, based on previous years when numbers in this particular class hovered just under 300.
The author of the notes grabbed me with this:
He wants His people to be restored to Him in true worship, which consists of a broken spirit and contrite heart.
Also this:
The Bible is first and foremost the revelation of God and His plan of redeeming a people for Himself. As we study the book of Isaiah, we will be asking ourselves, “What does this passage of scripture reveal about God – His person, His purposes, or His work?” This is very important, because what we believe about God determines what we believe about ourselves, our world, our purposes, and our lives.
I’ve looked at this week’s homework, and already have a clue what we’ll be discussing next week. We’re living in a time and culture (like Isaiah) when church involvement is sometimes worn like a costume/mask over self-reliant, self-centered (and even self-destructive) hearts. Proud hearts. Rebellious hearts. I-don't-need-anyone hearts.
According to our teaching leader this morning, Isaiah’s heart cry continues to be relevant today: God is eternal, and He offers hope and redemption/healing that restores our hearts and our messy lives.
Ah, I’m quick to agree life IS messy. But praise God….He is faithful to redeem the mess.
No comments:
Post a Comment