When circumstantial challenges fall across the path of life like thick, restraining curtains, hope may seem temporarily blocked.
I like metaphors, so the image of heavy theatrical curtains works for me. These curtains can represent all sorts of personal obstacles, but also outside influences: newscasters sharing little else but calamity, economists predicting the worst, philosophers ruminating about the impossibilities of life, and even medical professionals intent on seeing health issues as beyond nature’s ability to cope. No wonder doubt, dread, anger, and fear threaten to run rampant. No wonder the curtains seem to have their way. No wonder we’re all desperate for a respite from the onslaught of negativism; for a breath of fresh air; for hands-on experience with real freedom and hope and a clear pathway to the paradise of Psalm 23.
We turn to God for reassurance and guidance despite those curtains and our own situational paralyses, and praise Him for His faithful presence in the midst of the shrouded path. The Enemy tucks tail and runs – he can’t stand it when we give praise to the Father – as God’s hand reaches out to work. We become instruments of encouragement for each other and mysteriously find we are able to push back the curtains - together!
Earlier today I was wrestling with my own set of curtains. I couldn’t reconcile seemingly conflicting decisions and unanswerable questions. I felt almost hopeless, although I believed God would not leave me comfortless or without direction. However, I was not expecting advocacy at the very moment one of His children spontaneously stepped in to intercede with insight, wisdom, and on-the-spot prayer. Those heavy, dark curtains swooshed back to reveal fresh pasture and still waters where deep-breathing and expanded vision became the new expectations-du-jour. HOPE!
My decisions and questions didn’t immediately resolve. But the anxieties that had been nipping at my heels like dogs bent on drawing blood suddenly retreated, and I could step out in faith again toward my Lord as He waited, as always, with His hand extended.
“Come.”
Tonight I rest in His pasture. Tonight I praise Him for His faithfulness, and also for the heart of His servant who I am privileged to call a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment