Monday, November 9, 2009

Sharing Golden Moments

I was having a conversation with a friend on the phone a couple of days ago. “I just don’t get it,” she said in reference to blogging. “I can’t see why anyone would want to waste time writing personal stuff down in the first place. Then I REALLY don’t understand who would read someone else’s stuff! Definitely not me.”

Deflated, I tried in vain to support my stance while pacing the kitchen floor with an invisible VOTE FOR BLOGGING placard on my back. But her position didn’t budge. “I just don’t go there.”

With that windy introduction in place, I am about to blog briefly about my oldest grandson’s 9th birthday party yesterday - even if only to make a meek, no-one-may-care-but-oh-well-I’m-going-to-say-it-anyway statement at the end.

Yesterday was Caleb’s “golden birthday” celebration – he turns 9 on the 9th of November in 2009 (but we celebrated on the 8th). The day was “golden” with his grandparents and one best friend in attendance, perfect sunshiny weather, a cake decorated with a heap of gold-wrapped chocolate candies and gold candles, gold balloons, his favorite meal (burgers, oven fries, salad with ranch dressing, root beer, and fruit dipped in chocolate fondue), and gifts: a bicycle, golf club, legos, pet fish, and I don’t remember what else.

There were many things that made the day special, but in the afterglow one stands out. I loved watching Caleb interact with his buddy Sam, two literal peas in a pod of emerging little-man camaraderie. Icons of manliness-to-come. Genteel, well-trained, respectful, and yet all-boy males with hearts of gold. They didn’t know it, but their example spoke volumes about “carpe diem.”

Sieze the golden moments…and share them. Every golden second, every friends-forever second. Every manly, raise-your-root-beer-bottle-with-gusto second. Yeah, man. Every life-is-precious, mutual golden friendship moment.

No comments: