Daisies have always been my favorite flowers. They partner in my memory with hot sun, water-scented
wind off the lake, fragile butterflies, and time:
unstructured, countless hours to scuff sand with bare feet, hunt for snails, and
contemplate marshmallow clouds drifting through the sky’s blue sea. They’re happy, friendly flowers.
Many years ago, I chose daisies for my wedding flower
because they symbolized my childhood at the lake, the place where I cultivated
hope and freedom. The bridesmaids’ bouquets, and flowers on the cake table,
were as I’d ordered.
But evidently the florist thought my bridal bouquet should
be more elaborate. Its formal yellow
roses - perfectly coiled petals, perfectly placed - seemed so predictable, so
solemn and dignified. They also smelled
too sweet. I preferred the bobbing heads
and musty, outdoorsy scent of daisies. At
that stage of my life, roses suggested hospital confinements and sad, final goodbyes
at funerals. I would have been more at ease holding a bouquet of nodding daisies
hand-picked from along the road behind our cottage, stems only loosely tied
with a ribbon.
Wild daisies are still my favorites all these years later,
growing at will in a pasture or beside a road in the company of other
free-spirited wildflowers. However, two intentionally
tamed patches in my yard have bloomed profusely this summer, as if to advertise
childlike friendliness and happiness every time I step outdoors. They’re refreshing:
fresh as a daisy.

No comments:
Post a Comment