I woke this morning feeling twice my age, as if I’d been catapulted
into geriatric infirmity. Lead-footed. Slow. Achy. Brain-dead. But the clock said it was past time
to get up, so I did. Get. Up.
Shuffling to the hallway, I moaned
quietly and returned to climb back between the sheets. With the second attempt (10 minutes later), I
knew there was no going back. I’d force
the issue. Surely things would get
better.
By late morning I’d revived enough to run errands in The
City, although residual weight still seemed to perch on either side of my neck,
slowing me down. I was grateful to finally finish shopping at the health food store, my next-to-the-last stop.
“I would appreciate the senior discount on whatever
applies,” I said to the checkout lady.
This is my standard mantra. I’ve saved quite a bit by taking advantage
of this store’s markdowns for seniors, but the discount is not automatic – you
have to request it.
“Sorry, the senior discount applies only to people who are
60 and older,” she replied pleasantly.
“I’m 65,” I answered, smiling.
“You’re not!” She
seemed genuinely surprised.
I couldn’t believe it.
I felt much older than 65. And no one had ever questioned my senior status in the past! “Yes, I am – I can show you my driver’s
license if you like. My birthday was a
month ago.” She believed me, but said the law required her to ask for my ID anyway since I was purchasing a
bottle of sulfite-free wine. (And of
course I might not be 21 yet.
Riiiiiight.)
“You’ve done well,” she said appreciatively. “Good for you!”
Suddenly the remaining ton of bricks left from this morning
slid right off my shoulders and landed on the floor with a thud. I almost danced out the door with my bags, feeling
like a brooding old hen that had pulled off a good trick of impersonating a
spring chicken. Brrk, brroock, broock,
brk-ooock….Bwwaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkk!
No comments:
Post a Comment