Monday, June 30, 2014

Shaving Asparagus



Shaving asparagus.  Hmmmmm.  Sounds like a clue (images of bald-headed spears come to mind) in some mystery the grandkids dreamed up…. 

Honestly, shaving asparagus has to do with a new salad. Rather than chopping it into small pieces while raw (my previous methodology, always a bit disappointing with a too-crunchy mouth feel), I shaved fat stalks into thin strips with a potato peeler.  The asparagus was the purple-skinned variety, sweet and tender despite its size. 

Then I snipped the ribbons into smaller pieces and added chopped red pepper, red onion, and cooked rice.  For the dressing I whisked together lime juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper (just a little, I have to watch the sodium intake of the heart that beats next to mine), and fresh cilantro.  The result was surprising, in a good way, with a distinctive twang (thank you, cilantro and lime)!






No comments: