As I grow older, living well has come to mean releasing my
own expectations in a given situation rather than obsessing over whatever seems not-quite-right. Living fully and well means trusting the
Author of the larger emerging story. Accepting what
is.
Recently I ordered a new rope hammock to replace our old
weathered one that was on the verge of becoming unsafe. When the new hammock arrived, I threw away
the box (the trash man was due, so why not?), as well as the old hammock. Several days later I discovered that I’d
ordered the wrong size; the new hammock was much too short!
At first I was frustrated and angry with myself for wasting
money and time, especially since the 4th of July is just around the
corner. But this morning I swallowed my pride and tried hanging
the short hammock between two other (close-together) trees. It will work perfectly as a child-sized
hammock for the younger grandkids! This evening I ordered another rope hammock that
has more desirable features than either the old one or the one I intended to
order the first time, and it was on sale with free shipping!
This is a simplistic illustration, but to me it says life
events aren’t accidental; there is always a reason that ultimately fits with
the bigger picture. “When unforeseen
things occur, let me not forget that all
comes down from Thee.” (Orthodox morning prayer)
In fact, this kind of recovery looks like a kind of redemption to me. It is generous and obvious, and enables changes that wouldn't happen any other way. Sometimes there are other cases when I can’t grasp it as tangibly (the illusive dangling carrot), but am aware of being changed for the better in deep-seated ways because of the challenge. Either way, acceptance is comforting and freeing, a way to live well.
1 comment:
Oh, so true (and well-timed for me)! I also enjoyed reading about your "Fancy Day" a few posts back and am yearning for one of those myself :)
Post a Comment