Practiced wants become desires; practiced desires
become visions that can linger for months or years. Such visionary
fantasies can be persistent even when built on the shifting sands of what-ifs
and if-onlys when real life doesn’t match up.
It’s possible for a long-standing vision’s cork to suddenly
pop, for it to erupt into the realm of possibility with celebratory fizz. Flags flutter and fireworks explode overhead. Woohoo! Could it
be? Really?
Then cold, hard reality sinks in. The
vision-turned-possibility takes money to become an actuality. More money
than long ago when it first seemed attractive. Much more. So much
money that acquisition would be foolish to even consider.
This was what happened to me today.
The surprise party was raided (and the figurative champagne confiscated) almost as soon
as it began.
I’ve been pondering my reaction, remembering
something my mother-in-law said years ago. She was a woman of fine taste who appreciated quality possessions and experiences. “Getting isn’t the big deal.
Wanting and hoping are, because dreaming is always the best part.”
And so I tell myself to keep dreaming – that it is
the best part because I am already content with who I am, what I have, and the
life I’m living. In that case, I’m truly free to dream for the sake of
dreaming, without the sting of disappointment.
No comments:
Post a Comment