For Christmas, I asked Santa to re-set my engagement diamond (the old setting had 2 of 6 prongs broken), and enlarge the band of another favorite ring showcasing a family diamond. The first was a matter of necessity; the second a matter of comfort since that ring had become too small for the ever-enlarging knuckles of my aging right hand.
Santa was agreeable, but urged me to do the preliminary decision-making. This involved a visit to Ralph Privoznik’s studio, which I think I mentioned in a blog back in November.
As a refresher, I’ll just say here that Ralph is an artist who makes his living in a tiny downtown second-floor studio in our old hometown of Lafayette, Indiana. At my recent visit, he had dyed his hair (what there is of it) a shocking bright blue. His friendly eyes spoke beyond his quiet words, as usual.
Ralph is not your typical businessman. His records (scribbled 3x5 cards) are filed in shoeboxes; at the time of my visit, he looked up his previous work in 1992 on the ring needing enlargement in such a box. He loves and studies turtles. In fact, he has a beloved 20-year-old specimen as a pet that evidently needs cataract surgery.
“What? Cataract surgery on a TURTLE? With such tiny eyes?” I gasped.
Ralph smiled. “Yes, I talked to a vet who said it is possible.”
At the time I thought yeah, right, this starving artist who is creating jewelry to eek out his daily bread can afford cataract surgery for his geriatric turtle. But then I thought, how inspiring for him to see priorities so differently.
But that was weeks ago, and now I’m sitting here admiring the shiny artistry donning my stubby, work-worn fingers. If I had a high-tech camera (which I don’t), I’d post pictures. But alas, I guess I’ll just have to rely on WORDS.
The engagement band is made of four strands of gold woven together, and is thus wider than before – just slightly narrower than the stone’s diameter. The thin little gold ropes are almost-but-not-quite woven in a pattern, allowing for a touch of creative license. I love it!
I’ve had many compliments on the other ring over the years. The filigree setting (Ralph’s design) is striking in a one-of-a-kind sort of way that commands a second look.
I have to wonder about the similar-but-different creative genius lurking within all of us, and what catalyst might set it free in each unique case. Maybe a simple lifestyle devoid of consumerism, and a willingness to bestow mercy on the lowest of the low (as in Ralph’s turtle) - even, or especially, when personal sacrifice is involved. Maybe THEN we might come closer to realizing our full potentials.
1 comment:
I have 2 turtles I could donate to this man as I apparently do not possess the same attachment that he has. :)
Post a Comment