Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Wreath




Yesterday when redirecting my travel on a remote country road, I happened to turn around in the dirt driveway of a droopy-looking little homestead.

A few abandoned, well-rusted truck bodies sat in the yard as well as a presumably operative, if antiquated, automobile.  A gray mobile home, patched with panels of corrugated metal, resembled a wrinkly, vagrant elephant that had finally collapsed by the edge of the nearby forest, too weary to go any further.

There was no sign of life anywhere.  No light in a window.  No footprints in the mud.

As I pulled in and prepared to back around, I stepped on the brake momentarily, struck by a touch of Christmas. In the midst of obvious drabness, a cheap red metallic wreath stood on the door as a holiday icon. 

It looked strangely out-of-place: a sentinel of hope standing watch over an outpost of despair.  I had to wonder at the heart and hands responsible for its placement there, a glimmer in the drabness.  Did the owner know how similarly the incarnate Christ shone in a desperate world on the first Christmas, and how He still shines in the hearts of those who have allowed Him in?





No comments: