Thursday, December 22, 2011

The C-Word



Three female friends are currently navigating unique cancer journeys. Remembering my own cancer era (1996), and the fact that family and good friends seemed inadequate before the C-Word (it was almost as if a big red “C” was plastered on my forehead), I’ve longed to be sensitive to others facing cancer and encourage them in the deep interior places where others fear to tread. 

It is tricky business.  I know that feeling of inadequacy when looking from the outside-in.  Encouragement isn’t easy or automatic - just imperative.

From a medical standpoint, helpers are urged to provide physical props and assistance (a bedside commode, trips to the doctor’s office), but receive few cues regarding the emotional and spiritual needs of people struggling with cancer.

In my opinion, it comes down to being present.  Available.  “I don’t know what to say, but just want to be here during this hard time.  Would it be alright if I periodically visit (or call, or email, or whatever is most convenient)?”  Then listening, and listening well, becomes critical.

I’m inspired by the many testimonies of those who have used effective non-invasive methods typically shunned by Western medical protocol, and also want to share their hope with those currently in the trenches. It has been particularly interesting to observe mainstream AMA physicians who battle their own cancer with alternative approaches, many of which support the body’s immune function and thus enable it to destroy cancer.  Dr. Lorraine Day, a world-renowned AIDS researcher as well as an orthopedic surgeon and trauma physician at San Francisco’s General Hospital, is one such medical professional who has provided significant inspiration for me in the past. 

Another outspoken cancer victor from outside the AMA camp, Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP, CH, Doctor of Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist, Holistic Health Practitioner, and Clinical Herbalist, says the following:

Cancer patients need encouragement, HOPE and more often than not, a BIG dose of "You CAN do this!" They do not need endless sympathy or coddling…We are fooling ourselves if we don't take the time needed to heal. I don't mean sitting on the couch all day and crying---although I had a couple of those days. I mean changing a lifestyle that brought your body into dis-ease to embrace a lifestyle that brings health and healing… It is necessary to take a year off to just focus on health-----not cancer----but health. It's all in how you look at things-----being positive and what you CAN do rather than being negative and continually thinking about all the things that you "can't" do.







No comments: