Thursday, December 15, 2011

My Best Friend




Sometime in the early 1970’s, WD40 came into my world.

At that time I was waging war with the squawky hinges on my kitchen cupboard doors.  They were evidently on strike, and creaked and groaned each time I opened a door. 

Eventually one stubborn hinge broke altogether in a moment of ultimate protest, which was the last straw.  Something must be done!  In a flash of inspiration, I remembered a certain blue and yellow can hiding in my husband’s man-cave in the basement: WD40.  A lubricant.  Yes.  I would try it, and save myself from further frustration, and the other hinges from a similar fate. I would end the war.

A squirt here and a squirt there, and those noisy, grinding hinge-voices were hushed. Forever.

Soon after this life-altering discovery, I applied WD 40 to the track of our grumpy-grindy sliding glass door.  Sweet success! The door instantly glided across its track like the blade of Olympic skating champion Dorothy Hamill (oops, that dates me – 1976). 

Since then I’ve found various ways to unstick stubborn things, and sometimes even defy male mechanical genius.  Here’s a story of a recent WD40 bale-out.

The door to our storage area has been chronically hard to open. In fact, grimaced every time I placed my hand on the knob, and often grunted and groaned to make sure those within hearing distance knew of my distress.  Sometimes it took a full minute for me to wiggle the knob back and forth, and push and pull enough, to open that door!  With each attempt, my weakening old-lady grip seemed to fail me, even though I twisted, turned, and verbally chastised the annoying knob. This happened regularly.  Like many times a day.  For months. 

The good news is this.  After such a long struggle, and being convinced the problem was a mechanical one that couldn’t be remedied except with a tool-intensive application of a replacement knob (which is manly work and therefore a topic to be avoided), I finally tried three little squirts of WD40.

One, two, three.  Problem solved.  NO sticking whatsoever.  AH! 

Thank you, WD40, for saving me once again.  You ARE my best friend.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Love wd40! i used to get the name wrong and drove my husband nuts when I kept asking for the dw40. turns out I had been reading a lot of children's books with a character named DW. lol every girl's toolbox should have wd40, pink tools and never be without pink ducktape!!