Forty years ago today my handsome husband stood next to me in a dashing white tuxedo while I wore a flowing lace-and-pearl-studded dress fashioned by my seamstress-genius mother. Before an assembly of family and friends, we naïve lovebirds pledged to live together as man and wife. Whatever that meant.
At that time I had a shallow understanding of the sacramental aspect of marriage before God, and yet the vows were still a focal part of the marriage ceremony for me. At my request we’d memorized them so that when we spoke to each other our pledges would be more than a matter of blankly repeating words that could soon be forgotten.
At that time I had no idea I would continue to reference those vows and recite them to myself over the years, especially in times of challenge. I can still say them with the same conviction I did on July 10th, 1971. For those who don’t know, the word “troth” means “faithfulness:”
“I, Elizabeth, take thee, Frederick, to be my lawfully wedded husband - to have and to hold, from this day forward - for better, for worse - for richer, for poorer - in sickness and in health - to love and to cherish until death us do part, according to God’s holy ordinance. And thereto I pledge thee my troth.”
During the exchange of rings, I said this:
“In token and pledge of my constant faith and abiding love, with this ring I thee wed.”
I knew little at that time about the implications of “constant” and “abiding.” Perhaps now, forty years later, I have a better idea.
1 comment:
Belated congratulations. Gary & I celebrated our 40th last month. The Buffalo trip was our celebration.
We reflected similar sentiments to yours expressed in this post, Beth. Some truths are only confirmed with age, experience and the grace of God....
Post a Comment