I officially became a mother for the first time 38 years ago TODAY! Since then, the job description for motherhood has changed and grown and expanded until…huff puff…all these years later I’m discovering what it means to be a GRANDmother to eight, almost nine, little urchins.
Some of my mom-techniques have grown rusty, but are coming back with practice.
While most of the time our frolics are fun-filled, occasionally the kids and I dip into the deep waters of discipline. Here’s a glimpse into a recent one-sided conversation where I flipped the switch into the old serious-like-I-mean-it-voice while maintaining just a hint of grandmotherly compassion:
“I asked you not to do that – so why did you?”
No response. Child freezes with stiff body language.
“You know, Grampa and I have rules just like your Mom and Dad.”
No response. Chews fingers.
“You’re expected to obey them.”
No response. More chewing.
“And remember - I know how to use that wooden spoon in the bathroom, too.”
No response. Wiggles to create distraction.
“Look in my eyes, please.”
No response. Body stiffens again.
“I’ll give you one more chance. If you choose to do such-and-so, there will be no more playing outside for the rest of the day. Do you understand?”
No response. Looks around as if hunting for something.
“Look in my eyes, please.”
Sneaks a sheepish sideways eye-to-eye peek for a split second.
“Do we understand each other?”
“Yes.” (whispered ever-so-softly)
Whew-eee, that was a close call. I didn’t want to spend the afternoon indoors either!
“Okay! Then let’s play! What do you want to do NOW?”
Just goes to show I haven’t totally lost the old “mama-means-it and you’d-better-shape-up” tone in my voice and look in my bifocal-covered eyes…at least not this time.
No comments:
Post a Comment