It was the usual restaurant scene: a couple of oversized guys gulped all-you-can-eat lunch buffet in the booth across the aisle; a tip-conscious, very young/blonde/skinny waitress with dark glasses filled and re-filled my mug of hot water; a salad bar beckoned with overflowing veggies and prepared salads, hot soups soft serve ice cream. This is where I met a friend today.
This friend has another name of course, but I’m giving her a pseudo-name: Honesty.
I enjoyed sharing a couple of hours with Honesty over lunch. Why? Because she’s Real at the core, and that Realness came oozing all the way out through her blue-blue eyes and big smile, her careful listening and ready conversation, her attitudes and outlooks and, well, her HONESTY.
She’s a wizened but frisky filly, about my age, with beauty including, but extending well beyond, physical features into the realm of charm and grace that comes with age. A couple of times today her hands spoke volumes to me through simple but expressive gestures – soft, gentle hands that would be volunteering all day tomorrow to clean someone else's house in preparation for new occupancy.
As we munched through our respective custom salads, and then refilled our plates with second helpings, I felt myself relax. Ahhhhh. In the presence of one so unguarded, so lacking in pretense and ultra-sophistication, her demeanor is bound to rub off. I left feeling encouraged and tangibly, if inwardly, transformed: lighter, freer, and bouncier. That’s what honesty does.
No comments:
Post a Comment