Dr. Tammy Born (of Born Clinic in Grand Rapids) prescribed an elimination diet for me a month ago based on blood work exposing sensitivities and/or allergies to certain foods. Let me just say that it’s been HARD (next to impossible?) to follow when I’m preparing meals for other people all the time – people who eat the exact opposite of MY GOALS.
Like tomorrow, for instance. The requested menu is fried lake fish, French fries, and cole slaw. As the head chef du jour I can prepare these things, no big deal, and it will be fun to have the kids (actually 6 adults plus one toddler) here for a locally-caught-lake-fish fish-fry. It’s just that I get to handle, smell, serve and clean up after a meal that I shouldn’t eat. Or else I can choose to blow it ONE MORE TIME. Blah.
At the same time I’m supposed to be following the elimination diet, I also want to get back onto a more-raw diet. Just because I feel better when I eat that way. (Living enzymes are a good thing.) That’s hard as well when everyone else is eating COOKED “SAD” (Standard American Diet) fare.
However, yesterday I made a couple of batches of dehydrated crackers (gluten-free, which fits with the elimination diet, goody goody for me). One variety was a seasoned 100% flax seed cracker, and the other onion-sunflower seed cracker. Not bad, as long as you think this-is-not-a-cracker-in-the-true-sense-but-its-own-unique-thing. I also made a raw spinach pie that was, well, decent. Not fabulous, but okay when you’re HUNGRY.
Allow me to briefly describe this pie. It’s a main dish sort of thing. Pecans, flaxseed, honey, and coconut oil comprise the no-bake crust. The filling? Wilted (salted and squeezed) spinach, cucumbers, red sweet peppers, garlic, nutmeg, lemon juice, macademia nuts, and Bragg’s aminos. A few sliced baby Bellas sprinkled on top work as a garnish.
Want to try a slice? Of course not. YOU want tomorrow’s grease bomb meal: F-R-I-E-D fish and French fries. Admit it! Well then, show up tomorrow at 6:00 if you want. There’ll be plenty.
I’ll be eating spinach pie. Maybe.
No comments:
Post a Comment