Sunday, July 25, 2010

Compassion




This morning we were talking with Mr. B, a handsome and imposing-looking businessman and spiritual giant who exudes an aura of manly strength.  In regard to his own upcoming surgery tomorrow, he said, “You know…I’ve heard of women who mourn when they have hysterectomies…and now I get it.  I’m facing this (male-related) surgery and there’s no one to weep with me.” 

We talked more about the Good Samaritan.  Mr. B reminded us, “He left his side of the road, came over to meet the needy man RIGHT WHERE HE WAS, and knelt down eye-to-eye.  Then he actually lifted and carried him.” 

Collectively we all thought of Romans 12:15: “Rejoice with them that rejoive; weep with them that weep.” This is what unity looks like.  This is compassion. 

I told Mr. B I would pray for someone to “weep with him” (i.e. “be there for him”) tomorrow.  But the discussion impacted me in far deeper ways.  This was the first time I’d EVER heard such a clear expression of honest need, and not from a whiney perspective.  To hear if from such a highly respected manly-man was beyond inspiring.


No comments: